Sunday, November 9, 2008

Pace and Piddling

I passed 25,000 words today, by a few hundred. It was a nice milestone... technically half way through the word count at 9 days in.

I'm about a third of the way through my planned story arc, though I've deviated a bit, so I'm not really that sure where I'll end up (which is a good thing! Keeps it interesting). I can see the mile markers, but keep surprising myself with the road in between.

If that makes any sense.

I'm guessing that to really finish a (rough, rough) draft of this beast, I'll need to hit about 75,000 in November. That is the new goal... not 75,000... a total draft. I would like to make it through the skeleton.

To do that, I've already bypassed two scenes, summarizing them instead of writing the whole thing, simply because I thought they deserved a little more time and attention. The more action-packed, immediate scenes seem easier to write, and I can forge ahead on those to reach the story's end. Later, I can pull back and take time creating of the MC's portentous fireside story telling of an invented 1918 folktale....

Anyway, it seems to have it's own momentum, and I like each scene is a little stronger than the last one.

Taking a break tonight to watch The Fall, which seems to be a good lesson in story telling, judging by the reviews.

I can't believe I haven't done Nano before!

1 comment:

jchart said...

I'm glad that you're enjoying it so much, and that you're making such awesome progress. It sounds like a good idea to summarize the scenes that will need more work and move on with the ones which are easier to write for now. Good thinking :-)

Followers

Search This Blog