Thursday, September 4, 2008

Second Draft

It's called Legacy, I think.

I'm terrible with titles. I keep hoping one will jump out at me, but it's now painfully clear that most fiction is created; it just doesn't spring forth completed onto my computer screen.

Not really a shocker.

But I did complete a second draft. One that is a bit better than the first. I did come up with a few ways to beef up scenes and bring out background characters to improve a third draft.

Each time it's getting a bit more sophisticated, which is fun too see. It still in no way resembles something I would intentionally read in a magazine, but maybe it will get there.

I feel like my daughter on her first big-kid bike. Even with training wheels and mom nearby, she is a bit scared, and finding it a bit tricky to take the curbs or pedal on the grass... or on any kind of slope. I'm just beginning to understand the level of craft and diligence that is required to create something worth reading.

I really don't have a lot of time to devote to learning right now, but I'm going to keep doing what I can. As long as I keep seeing a bit of improvement, it is really fun.

1 comment:

Anna said...

it is really fun. and the more I do it, the better I'm becoming...

or at least that's how it feels.

it's AMAZING to me, and I cannot emphasize this enough, how subsequent drafts improve. I think it's my eyes can only see so much rubbish at one time... :)))

and then I have another look... there's some more! hee hee...

enjoy the process. it's like being pregnant. you can't wait to have that baby, but those 9 months are just as precious...

Followers

Search This Blog