Thursday, July 17, 2008

Taming the Jungle

When we left for South Dakota, I left a thriving but adolescent garden behind, along with watering instructions for my teenage neighbor.

Ten days later (the first three of which required an arc to navigate the flooded garden caused by a distracted teenage waterer) I returned to a jungle, still thriving, nearly ready for its first harvest, but desperately needing some love and attention. Mostly desperate for some weed control!

I spent most of Tuesday weeding the garden while the girls played in the yard, and that got me about 1/3 of the way through it. Maybe by this weekend I'll be finished. Most likely I'll be eating summer squash, zucchini, and green beans too!


My first attempt at growing cabbages may yield some dimple-cheeked children before too long!
The make-shift teepees are really working for the pole beans. Joe is so handy! Check out the coop back there.
And the girls are actually, honestly playing together! Elliot follows Maya everywhere and giggles while Maya tries to give her a ride in the Coop. Yes, we're standing nearby to catch her when she inevitably falls off!

No comments:

Followers

Search This Blog