Thursday, April 23, 2009

Fully Functioning

Finally, I have BOTH a working laptop and the Microsoft Office software to facilitate more writing on actual stories and less planning, brainstorming, freewriting, and journaling in various notebooks.

I've filled a lot of notebook pages lately. I may have enough material for the rest of the year.

The process has been helpful. I've percolated. Stewed. Marinated? Maybe not...

Tonight, with the help of several overheard conversations and a few really productive jogs (Mentally, anyway... I think I slow my pace when I get really into the groove.... whatever works!), I pounded out a summary outline for Upturned Stones. An outline that I really like.

Unfortunately, the cynic in me is rolling her eyes. It has all been done before. The story is far from new. In fact, it is comfortable, like well worn jeans. Perhaps more like my favorite old quilt, ragged and gawdy and made by a great aunt who would roll her eyes at the amount of the SciFi channel I've watched while snuggled under it.

Too bad, cynic! I'm still writing this beast. And soon. I am so in love with the two main characters, I can hardly stand it. I am absolutely delighted by the arch of the story. Comfortable as it is, there is a lot I don't know about the details. In those details, I can pour everything that feels so fresh and exciting and wonderfully entertaining about these people and their... well, their angst.

1 comment:

Anna said...

YES!!! every story has been done before. it's the words, the way it's told, and by the sounds of how excited you are...

a winner for sure!!

plus I just LOVE that title!!

Followers

Search This Blog