Sunday, May 4, 2008

It's a Hard Knock Life for Ducks

My enthusiasm for providing Maya with a touch of wildlife in her own backyard has waned.

Instead of a beautiful spring experience, protecting a brooding duck and seeing newly hatched chicks, I had to explain the trail of broken eggs leading to poof of mama duck feathers and a crack in our gate. Luckily Maya is little enough to believe my story about the baby ducks going to live at the pond. This was, certainly, not my most forthright parenting moment, but I didn't have the heart to tell her about the neighborhood raccoon or fox or whatever it was that wanted scrambled eggs for Sunday brunch.

At least we've learned a valuable lesson for our prospective chickens: coop them up at night!

It broke my heart each time Maya went outside today. She walked straight to the nest and looked down saying, "I just wanted to see mama duck's eggs one more time. Did the chicks have to move?"

No comments:

Followers

Search This Blog