Sunday, April 27, 2008

Green, Greener, Greenest

The Sunday Star Tribune has a great insert about Living Green.

For at least the past three years, I have been reasonably committed to making “green” choices. A lot of our purchasing and lifestyle decisions are now so routine that I no longer think about them as sustainable, like recycling, buying organic milk, and using earth-friendly laundry soap. It’s just what we do.

I have a long way to go. I realize this every time I read articles like Living Green. The cloth diapers just didn’t work for us (we settled on Seventh Generation diapers as a slightly less guilty alternative to regular disposables). Rain gardens always seem so complicated. I haven’t yet resorted to putting a bucket in my shower to catch the “grey” water for my garden. And finding the little alternative stories that sell eco-clothing never meshes with my mad dash to the grocery store between Elliot’s naps.

Yet I keep reading all the green living tips I can get my hands on. Each time my favorite magazines or websites feature an article on the green living basics, I congratulate myself on the few things that we do well (which has grown a lot recently), and evaluate the remaining green suggestions to see what would be simple to take up next.

Each time I read about rain barrels, self-propelled lawn mowers, eco-clothing, and other sustainable options that we haven’t incorporated yet, I feel a bit more comfortable with the idea. The more familiar the option (like the self-propelled mower), the more likely we are to just start doing it.

Last week, Amazon’s Deal of the Day was a push mower. It arrived on our doorstep yesterday (during the freak blizzard that pelted my hydrangeas with snow). I can't wait to That’s just one more thing on the list that we can celebrate, and a lot of others that we just might try next time.

So check out the articles. Find one new thing to put on your to do list!

In the middle of a blizzard, we had a summer fashion show!




1 comment:

Andrea said...

You have the prettiest babies in the whole world!!!!!

Followers

Search This Blog